A natural and effective approach
Palpebral swelling (or oedema), which is signalled by the accumulation of liquids, congestion and hyperemia of the upper and/or lower eyelids, can be triggered by allergic reactions; it can also be a consequence of microbial infection of the eye or linked to a generalized, inflammatory state of the organism and its difficulty in draining toxins, produced by metabolic problems such as thyroiditis, diabetes, etc., or by the presence of food intolerances. In solving such complex symptoms nature can once more be of great help, associating plant constituents characterized by anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties, with the extraordinary property of Grapefruit Seed Extract, thereby ensuring a simultaneous microbial activity, useful to defend the temporarily weakened eye from microbial aggressions.
GSE and eyelid swelling
The efficacy of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) as a broad spectrum antimicrobial has been confirmed by Laboratories and Institutes worldwide. Numerous testimonies confirm its validity and in terms of both efficacy and speed of action it remains unrivalled in nature. Moreover, as a selective antimicrobial, GSE does not bear a significant impact on the physiological flora of skin and mucosae, preserving their essential, defensive functionality. GSE therefore represents an extremely valuable aid also in case of palpebral oedema, ensuring the following actions:
- effective, broad spectrum antimicrobial protection of the eyes and eyelids, which is important in order to protect the weakened eye in case the oedema has been triggered by allergic reactions or by systemic/metabolic problems;
- effective resolution of microbial eye affections (conjunctivitis, blepharitis, styes) underlying palpebral congestion.
Due to the above considerations, GSE therefore represents the cornerstone of an effective and complete approach against palpebral edema. The association of these specific plant extracts, featuring marked decongestant and anti-inflammatory properties, in a solution for ophthalmic use, essentially provides for the following actions: direct, specific action at the level of the eyelids and eye contour, promoting decongestant, analgesic, anti-itching, markedly anti-inflammatory action while simultaneously offering antimicrobial action.
Nature can help you with…
Grapefruit Seed Extract: as already highlighed, results obtained regarding the efficacy of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) against over 800 bacterial strains, including staphylococci normally involved in the infectious process of styes, confirm GSE to be the ideal remedy to handle problems related to palpebral oedema. Its synergy with specific plant extracts, featuring decongestant and soothing properties, makes this formulation effective and safe to use.
Calendula (distilled water): belonging to the family of Asteraceae, it is rich in triterpene derivatives, mainly responsible for its marked anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties. Other constituents are carotenoids, numerous resins, flavonoids, polysaccharides and mucilages, markedly bioadhesive on the skin and mucosae and contributing for this reason to the plant’s health properties. The most significant actions carried out are: anti-inflammatory, anti-reddening, immunomodulating, antimicrobial, cicatrizing, analgesic, lenitive and decongestant.
Nymphaea: parts used for officinal purposes are flowers and rhizome, both rich in alkaloids (nymphein and nymphalin), gallic acid, tannic acid and mucilages. Applied on skin and mucosae, it is very useful for the treatment of irritative and inflammatory type of dermatological affections. Health properties of Nymphaea on the skin are attributable to high concentration levels of gallic and tannic acids, capable of considerably reducing erythema, itching, oedema, exerting a marked anti-inflammatory action in general. Nymphein and Nymphalin alkaloids, instead, convey the analgesic and sedative properties of the plant. Moreover, thanks to its mucilages, Nymphaea acts as an emollient and enables considerable increase of cutaneous hydration.
Elderberry: parts mostly employed for external use are its flowers, extremely rich in chemical constituents, among which mucilages play a key role, with their marked emollient and lenitive action, and flavonoids (kaempferol, astragalin, rutin, quercetin, isoquercetin, iperoside) due to their anti-inflammatory action. In phytotherapy, preparations are obtained using active constituents from Elderberry flower extracts, for ophthalmic applications in case of eye affections of different kinds.
Altea: a plant belonging to the family of Malvaceae, featuring marked anti-inflammatory, emollient, calming, lenitive, decongestant and antipruriginous properties. In phytotherapy, the part mostly used is the root, extremely rich in mucilages and responsible for the beneficial effects on mucosae and skin. For external use, it is very effective in the treatment of eye inflammation owing to its marked anti-reddening and antipruriginous effect.
All the above-mentioned ingredients, artfully blended in a specific solution for the eyelids and eye contour, can be conveyed in practical, mask-shaped eye compresses in non-woven fabric.
The association of the above-described ingredients, essential to ensure a local approach against palpebral swelling, can be further supported by specific remedies indicated for the following actions:
– Local, synergic action aimed at providing an effective solution of eye affections: a solution based on GSE, distilled water of Euphrasia, Chamomile and Calendula, together with Hydroxyethylcellulose, in eyedrops.
– Systemic action aimed at contrasting microbial infections and supporting the organism’s defensive system: for adults, GSE, Echinacea purpurea, Rhodiola, Uncaria and Melaleuca alternifolia in swallowable tablets; for children, GSE, Echinacea purpurea, Rhodiola, Uncaria and Morinda citrifolia (Noni), preferably in the drinkable version.
– A rebalancing action of the intestinal flora and simultaneous reinforcement of the organism’s natural defences: for adults, single use vials with measuring cap based on probiotics (B. bifidum, L. acidophilus, L. bulgaricus), fructo-oligosaccharides, GSE, Uncaria and Morinda citrifolia (Noni); for children, single use vials with patented cap, based on probiotics (B. infantis, B. longum, L. Rhamnosus), fructo-oligosaccharides, GSE, Astragalus and Uncaria tomentosa.